Monday, November 2, 2009

I’ve broken in my new boots

Sorry but this one will be really short. This week has been crazy and there are a million things that went down, but none of them are worthwhile to tell you about. We are working hard and doing a lot... so right now we need to get going. We have three baptisms this week and some in the upcoming weeks. So we are running around like wild men.

There has been rain all week, so I’ve broken in my new boots pretty well, a little too well... We got wet almost every day. It has been a little dampening on the work. For some reason people here don’t want to let two wet boys into their houses when there is rain. SOMETIMES yes, but not this week. We have however been working amazingly hard and have done fairly well.

Here is a little fun story to share with you all about a comment my Mother always tells me. She tells me to "shine". Well, it is funny she says that because I try. I’m a pretty smiley person, but not always. It is amazing how much effect a smile has with people. So, I smile a lot to cheer people up, even if I don’t feel like smiling. Anyway, this week we had a meeting after church. Everyone was hungry because it was time to eat and everyone had been fasting. Also tired because we all drudged through the rain and mud to get to church. So I started smiling and enjoyed the effects of it. Then the ward secretary who is Uncle Dursley`s twin brother (mustache and all... from the movie) starts giggling. I normally don’t get that... from men, especially a fully grown and serious man. Everyone looks at him of course and he points at me. So everyone looks at me too. I smile back and everyone in the room just smiles. It was a fun moment. But the best part is that the ward secretary says, "You have this friendly face. I’d bet you have a lot of friends, I’d bet your friends with everyone you talk to". That just made the moment even sweeter. It was nice to see such a wonderful reaction from the people I work so closely with. So I hope I am finally able to report home that I am shining.

Christmas is coming up... so I thought I’d put a list together of all the things I would like from the fam and friends. So here it is:
1. A letter... HAND WRITTEN... and more than one page
2. A current photo... with the letter. Just one is good enough
3. For all that can... be home so that I can talk to you.

And that is about it.

All the stores around here have their Christmas stuff out and it makes me long for snow. Unfortunately there is only heat and muggy rain. Perhaps a miracle will happen.

I love you all,
Elder Steinkuhler

No comments: