Monday, November 9, 2009

this work is going forward with power and authority

Well, a lot has happened, but there really is no time to explain all. My computer is not working well and my time is almost up, so I need to get going. Let’s just start with the week then, shall we?

We WERE going to have 3 baptisms this week, but it is kind of hard to do baptisms if there is no water in the church. So, we put the baptisms off for next week. So next week we will be baptizing 4 people... in the sanja if we have to (someday I’ll send a picture of a sanja). We got everything ready and then... it just didn't go through. So this Saturday was kind of a bummer. We had fun though, chatting with the zone leaders and working with the bishop to fix things. Unfortunately things here are not like home... there is a baptismal font in each chapel because it is too hard to travel between chapels. Pretty much everyone just walks... so we couldn't change places... nor get enough water... nor nada. So, next week.

I’ve got a fun little story for you all. A week-ish ago, my companion and I were waiting for a bus at night. It was too far to walk at night... so we were waiting for a bus. It was already 9:25 and it takes about 30-45 minutes to walk home from where we were... so we waited for a bus. This drunk guy came up with a branch and started telling us to chastise this other guy because he was a sinner. I politely told him to take-it-to-himself (tomatèla) and leave us alone. He left and a young girl came up. When the drunk came back and started harassing us again, she stuck up for us and not so politely told the guy to get the heck out of there... explaining that we couldn't do anything and he knew... so, "stop being a bum". I was laughing my fat roles off because a little 22 year old girl scared off a 35ish year old punk. So, I decided to talk to her. I thanked her and did a contact. We ended up talking for about 25 minutes because a bus didn't come. During that time an investigator came up and started chatting with us. Once the bus finally came, we got on and I asked if we could come by some time to teach her family. She said, "sure, but no one will listen to you." So last Monday we pass by and the mother answers us. She looks at us and says, "no, sorry boys". I explain that we are looking for said girl, and she looks at me weirdly. I explain what happened and she laughs, saying that it was definitely her daughter. Before I could open my mouth to teach, she tells me she doesn't want to know anything. I smile at her... and teach her anyway. I’ve found that a "no"... really means "I have no clue what you believe". She told us no about 5 times, but I persisted... We eventually come up to her with the Book of Mormon and I explain what it does for us. She became all excited and accepted us. We testified powerfully and handed the book over after a prayer.

After leaving my companion just stared at me and said... how did that happen? I didn’t even think twice about it. It has happened to me so many times before that it just seemed normal. It felt good to reflect on the power of a testimony and the power of the Book of Mormon. This transfer we are focusing on the two most important tools in the missionary handbag. The Spirit and the Book of Mormon. Believe you me... this work is going forward with power and authority. I’m extremely glad to be out here. I don’t want to come home... so I’m sorry for all of you who are waiting for me. I’m sure they will send me home some day, but until that day comes, I’ll work as hard as I can. I hope that all of you are working hard at home as well.

I’m excited for the changes happening here. I love you all and hope that you are finding joy in sharing the gospel at home like I am here in Argentina. Take care... and write me sometime.

Elder Tommy Steinkuhler

No comments: