Monday, November 16, 2009

and they want to get baptized

Well, the biggest news is that we baptized this week!!!! I'm trying to send pictures, but the computer kinda sucks. Maybe next week.

Anyway, we had three wonderful people get baptized. They have a really long story, and I don't remember if I told you all about it yet or not. So... I probably won’t tell you at all. HAHA!!! You`ll just have to wait till I get home. My favorite part is that two of them were studying with the Jehovah's Witness people. I love how true the church is, that we literally receive revelation from God. No other church really does that. It is amazing to watch the people as they change their lives and relieve the answers they look for. I love that feeling as you look them in the face and they tell you that they got their answer and they know the Book of Mormon is true and they want to get baptized. We have been working really hard recently and been able to see these kinds of changes on a regular basis. The problem is that people always need to get married or something like that. So, baptismal dates are pushed off into the future. My companion and I mapped it out and we are teaching in over 40 houses. About 10 of those houses have people that want to get baptized already... but about 9 of them need to get married. HAHA how ironic, no?

Well, I’ve got a fun little story for you all. It has to do with us and a dog. We are teaching this lady named Eli... as in Elisabeth. Her dog has been following us around for awhile. At first we didn't know who he belonged to. There are about 5000 dogs in our area, so we didn't really know who it was from. We started calling him Captain because of the eye patch he has and the fact that he always walks out in front of us... leading us. That turned into Captain Hook... then to Hook.... then to Hooksy. So, Hooksy follows us around all the time... normally all day. He will start in the morning and wait for us outside of houses... or the church. And when we go to bed, he waits for us until the next morning. He is really cool, kind of annoying sometimes, but cool. The members and investigators all think that we have a dog now. I guess we kind of do. Anyway, our captain leads the way for us.

Cool story. I’ve decided to put more focus on Christ in my teachings. Instead of just including what he did in lessons we teach... we now teach lessons based only on what he did. One of our lessons this week was just that... it was amazing. We had a member with us who always comes out with us. We explained things very clearly and powerfully using all sorts of examples and scriptures. The Spirit was very powerful and clear. It was a very good lesson, not that the others aren’t, but this one sticks out in my mind. I remember saying that we want to work as hard as we can here on earth to make up for what Christ did for us. For that reason we came on the mission and for that same reason this particular member helps us. The member was touched, and explained later that she felt she understood better why she came out with us after that lesson.

A desire that I have had ever since I got on the mission is to help the missionaries after the mission. I hope that you all have the same desire. Please go give them a hand this week. Don’t just feed them a meal and nothing more.... go out of your busy day to help them by finding someone or going with them to a lesson. I know that is what God wants us to do. This was a great week. I hope all is well in Zion.

Love,
Tommy

PS I got a few packages and letters this week. Thank you so much. I was able to wear a WHITE shirt to the baptism instead of a yellow one.

PPS This Thursday we get to hear from Elder Bendar... in person. I’m excited.

No comments: