Monday, November 23, 2009

I love it when that happens.

Well, we just finished another transfer. I get to stick around with Elder Mortensen. This will be the first time in about 7 months that I get to have a second transfer with my companion. I'm excited to be working with him. We have at least 5 baptisms planned out for next transfer. Things have just been falling into place for us. We have been listening to the wise counsel of our leaders and have been blessed greatly for it. I know this means nothing to any of you... but it is something that surprised Elder Mortensen and I... according to the new missionary system that we are using in our mission... Elder Mortensen and I are the number 7 companionship in the mission. We have no clue why that is or how that happened... but we are happy about it.

This week was really interesting. We had a special visit from Elder Bednar. But I’ll explain that later. We were not able to work in our area much this week because of a million things. I was asked to do two baptismal interviews which were amazing... but took a lot of time away. All of Thursday we were with Elder Bednar. My companion was completely sick on Friday, so we didn't leave the pench. The fact that we were not working every day in our area made us focus every second of every moment we were able to work. We made some really good visits and found some really amazing people. We have been trying to change our teachings so that instead of teaching the lessons we know so well, we teach the people we don't. It is amazing how the spirit of the lesson changes when we focus on the people and teach with love and understanding. We took out 3 baptismal goals this week. We also found and taught some great people. All of the lessons were wonderful and had a powerful impact on all of us. Let me explain 2

There is a companionship in my district that was having problems with one of their investigators, so I was asked to lend a helping hand. I taught this person 3 times this week. The first time we cleared up the problem. The second we got them to read and pray... and on the third visit we were told that they had received the answer they looked for. So we set up a goal for them to be baptized. Every lesson we focused more and more on the Spirit to guide us and this person. In the end they felt the true love of God and for that reason they will be baptized.

We found someone last Monday. We taught her about the Book of Mormon and she read it. Our second visit she had questions so we were not able to teach her the restoration. But at the end of the lesson she asked us... why are there so many churches and how can I really know which one is true. So the third visit we taught her the restoration. It was probably the most powerful lesson I’ve ever had. She felt the Spirit as well as we did. I personally was taught by the spirit the truths of what we were teaching. I love it when that happens.

Okay... There was so much that happened, but I don't have time to tell it all. OH!!! Good story:
There is a sort of inactive member of our ward who goes to church every once and awhile. She is having problems so we taught her about the celestial kingdom. We explained that we need to live a celestial law here on earth if we want to live in a celestial world some day. She understood the lesson very well and at the end we committed them to make a list of 5-10 things that they needed to change to live a celestial law. That day she took out her tongue piercing... and yesterday she gave us her nose piercing as well. It is interesting sitting down to study in the morning and seeing body piercings covering the table with an occasional package of cigarettes that we've confiscated. Oh the interesting things missionaries get to do.

Okay, Bednar. I really can’t tell you anything about what he said. I made a promise not to pour all of it out to everyone. But one thing I will share is how he started. He explained how well we are at taking perfect notes of what every speaker says... but that we shouldn't. He asked us if we ever re-read any of those notes... or if we even knew where they all were. He told us to only write down what the Spirit indicated. Well, I came to that conference with lots of questions... I left with even more, but all the original questions were answered... although Elder Bednar only talked about one of them. I can truly testify to you all that David A. Bednar is a true Apostle of God. That he is guided by the Holy Ghost and that he has helped me in more ways than one. I hope that all of you take the time to read the conference talks from the prophets and apostles of these days. I know I used to take General Conference for granted. Don’t do the same thing I did.

I’m over my time. Take care. I love you all dearly and look forward to Christmas. Thanksgiving is a non-celebrated holiday in Argentina... so I’m really not that excited. But Christmas is this transfer and I will be calling home. And after that call I will not speak English until I talk to my family again. So I’m going to enjoy this time of language freedom while it remains.

Again, I love you all,
Tommy

No comments: