Monday, October 26, 2009

through prayer she received a powerful witness

Well, I will start this out with an apology. We played soccer this morning and I took a direct hit to the face several times. And scraped off about all the skin on my left leg (for those of you who know me well, you`ll know it is nothing new). But that means my brain is still kind of running on low brain power. So, sorry if this is really random.

This week was amazingly weird and long... but great! According to the mission standards we are still one of the best in the mission. I’ll stop telling you all what number, but we`re doing good. It feels good knowing that we are doing well. We are seeing a lot of hard work and success in our area. I’ve written down a few things noteworthy to tell you all about.

First of all... this Saturday something weird happened. We had a meeting early in the morning and almost no one could go. We are trying to train the ward missionaries. Well, two showed up... two ladies. We sit down to teach them and one of them had a seizure. She started shaking and spluttering up water. It was pretty scary. But my companion and I pulled out the good old oil (no joke on the old part) and gave her a blessing. It was interesting because my companion had never done it in Spanish. All I had to say to her was... Sleep. And she slept. The other lady said she`d never seen it so bad before. After awhile she came to her senses and went home to sleep more. But that was a fun early morning wake up call. I'm glad we are both worthy Priesthood holders.

Well, about 6 months ago my shoes died and I bought new ones. It rains here a lot, so the souls basically just died. And when I step on mud (unpreventable) it gets into my shoes. I got tired of it, so I went out and bought a new pair of shoes this week. I bought some nice ankle high boots with WOODEN bottoms. So much cooler and funner (FYI=Funner does not get caught by spellchecker). I’ll try to send pictures. I now have two pairs of shoes with wooden bottoms. I like them a lot more. They don't wear out and are actually pretty comfortable. I admit it is like walking around with a piece of tile strapped to your feet because they are so hard... but I don't walk that much. However, I do walk around in the mud a lot.
On that note.... it rained a lot this week. Like 3 times and the last one was a mini storm... some people had their houses ruined because of the strong winds. It was pretty fun. And my companion and I got all muddy and wet... fun times.

Something I am just bursting to tell you all. Last Sunday we found this family. It was Mother`s Day here and so I told this lady I had a Mother`s Day present for her and we walked into her yard. The whole family was outside chilling in the shade. We taught that God is our Heavenly Father and what the Book of Mormon is. Also that we can pray to know if it`s true. We set up an appointment and left. We were going to come back on Tuesday, but there was no time because the Zone Conference went long. I had the lady in my mind for a long time afterwards, but there was never time to go by. Finally on Saturday someone stood us up so we had a little bit of time. We booked it over to her place and found her there with her kids. She was washing clothes (by hand... as is normal) and just leaves everything to come talk to us. We sit down in her house with her kids. They were watching TV and I always find it distracting so I asked them to turn it off... but they only turned off the volume. So we start and pray. My companion still has troubles speaking... so he helped me with the lesson part (we taught the Restoration) but then got lost when we started speaking fast and about specific needs. So he tried to tranquilize the kids as I taught. MIB 2 comes on TV and that TOTALLY distracted me. I asked her if she thought the Book of Mormon was true and she said yes. That surprised me and so we read the last paragraph in the introduction page to the Book of Mormon. While she was reading I was looking at all the kids running all over the place and the movie going and a thought entered my mind. It was a quote from Preach My Gospel about someone that had a similar experience and the thought entered his mind to pay attention. I looked at her and focused all my energy on not loosing concentration. I asked her if she believed The Book of Mormon was true... again... then if she thought Christ was our Savior... if Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God.... and if The Church of Jesus Christ was the true church of God. She said yes to every question. The spirit filled the room and I forgot about the kids and craziness going on. I looked deep into her eyes and saw that she was completely and honestly sincere about all of that. I invited her to get baptized and she said yes. I love seeing the power the Book of Mormon has in the lives of others. She knew nothing, but through prayer she received a powerful witness of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. That is just one of the many times this has happened to me. The difference was how the Spirit pulled my mind out of the world to focus on the needs of this lady when no one else was listening to her. It was great!

Well, things are going great! I’m working hard and enjoying it. This was a rather rough week, but we pulled through with flying colors. I’m loving the work and don’t want to go home. Sorry, but I think I’ll probably stay out here as long as possible. I hope no one is missing me too much. But I also hope you know I miss you all dearly. What more can I say?

"I’m good family... Had a great week... tell you about it next week. Love ya"

I love you all...
Elder Tommy Steinkuhler

No comments: