Monday, October 12, 2009

the true power of the Book of Mormon in connection with the Spirit

Well, it looks like things are going to change for me again. It is interesting to me that of my 10 transfers here in Argentina I’ve had 8 companions. That means I’ve only been with 2 companions for 2 transfers. Every other companion I’ve been with has stuck around for one transfer and nothing more. Elder Acuña has also left me. But that was somewhat expected. I just hope the Elder I receive will stick around with me a little bit longer. I`d tell you his name, but I cannot. I will find out tomorrow, because I’ll be training again. It feels weird not knowing the name of my companion again. I am currently with Elder Schupple. He is also going to train. He was in the MTC with me. Elder Hodson, my MTC companion is going to train also. YEAH!!! Elder Jones, the other Elder who came with us, left me to be a zone leader. I will miss that big Teddy bear.

Well, I am doing very well. I had a whole lot of things to tell you all. I even wrote some down, but then I changed agendas and now I don't have anything I wrote down... oops. But I have at least a few cool stories to tell you from what I remember. But before I start, I want to explain again that our focus is finding. So when we find, it feels great! It feels like we are completing with our calling as missionaries and will our calling as missionaries working under our great president. If that makes any since to you at all.

We got a reference last week from our zone leaders. They had no clue where it came from, just that it came. We went off to contact it the one day we had time. We got lost because they changed all the numbers on the street. We were walking down the street and I saw a lady sitting on a fence with her baby and I decided to do a contact. The Spirit just told me to ask her about the person we were looking for. She said, wow... that is my Mother. So we chatted and set up a time to come back when her mother would be around. It just turns out that her Mother is the daughter of an inactive member. She knows the missionaries very well and even cleans the churches. When we returned we asked to gather the family and explained to them just The Book of Mormon. It was very easy to feel the Spirit. It was strong in the room and all were impressed by the power it had on us. We invited them to pray and read. They promised they would... and the next time they would invite others as well. We found part of the family that day. There are about 15 in all, and we found 7. They were excited to see us return and are truly waiting for what we have for them. When we finished with the lesson, we asked the son in law to kneel down and pray to find out if what we were teaching was true. He and the family bowed down and he offered his first prayer. The Spirit was strong and I believe many received answers that very day.

A few days after we were walking down the road on our way to an appointment. I felt the Spirit pull me toward a house. I clapped and out came a nice lady. She smiled and said, ‘Hello Elder’. I laughed and said, ‘you must be a member’. We chatted and I walked into her house to meet her family. We sat down and began to learn. She was baptized when she was 12 years old, but stopped going because they moved and then she "didn't have time", that was about 20 years ago. Two days before we clapped on her door, she was talking to her husband about religion. She still says she is Mormon. Her husband is Catholic. The majority of her children are Evangelist. And one of her daughters is studying with the Jehovah`s Witness`. We called the family together and explained The Book of Mormon again. The Spirit washed over us again. We told them they could only know the truth by getting answers from God. We explained clearly and with power. All promised to read and pray who were there in the house. The mother offered the prayer. Something she hadn't done in many, many years. She cried softly as she communicated with her Heavenly Father again. The Spirit down poured on us and we left that house feeling full and edified.

Sunday I went out with Elder Coats, who got here about 6 weeks ago. He doesn't speak well, but has lots of power. We found 3 more. Those and every other person we found this week were just ready. They were all powerful lessons and great memories to me. If there is one thing I learned this week... it is the true power of the Book of Mormon in connection with the Spirit. We need to read from the Book of Mormon every day if we want to feel the Spirit. It is a clear and powerful way of feeling what God wants for us. I'm grateful for the time I have to read daily. I'm grateful for the opportunity to train again. New missionaries have such power, even if they don`t speak Spanish. I'm expecting to receive an American this time. So I’ll be able to learn all over again the Spanish language.

I love you all and expect to hear from you soon. Don’t leave me hanging high and dry.

Don’t forget that you are loved, at least by me.

Elder Tommy Steinkuhler

PS Argentina is going to mundial!!!!

No comments: