Monday, March 1, 2010

I felt like I jumped into Mission Impossible

Elder Steinkuhler with his new companion Elder Villarroel

So, I have some bad news... well, kind of. I got emergency transferred out of my area. But before you all get excited and start thinking that I'm a bad elder... let me explain what happened.

On Monday I'm working with my companion to get our daily goals. It was raining and dark and we were in a rather obscure part of town. My phone rings and I pick it up. It said that the president was calling me... I didn't understand why, so I answered somewhat hesitantly, "Hola?" (If I had known what he was going to say... I might have reversed that salutation). I heard President Asay answer back, "Hello Elder Steinkuhler, are you in a secure location, can you talk?" I felt like I jumped into Mission Impossible. I replied, "Yes president. It is raining, I'm in the middle of the street and there is absolutely no one around... what do you need?" He continued to explain to me that an elder had broken his leg playing soccer that day. So he needed my help. There was a rather crazy mix up of everything. Here goes... An elder in Villa Zula had been doing some things that he shouldn't. So he got emergency transferred out 3 weeks ago and Elder Villarroel came in. Then a week later a new elder went in to replace his companion named Elder Pulgar. A week later the old companion of Elder Pulgar broke his leg... so Elder Pulgar had to go back to his old area... which left Elder Villarroel in Villa Zula alone with 2 weeks of experience in the area. So the president called me up and said, "Who knows Villa Zula better then Elder Steinkuhler?" So, I’M BACK!!!! I’m going on my 8th month here in Villa Zula.

Cool and just funny
We did planning like this one day... it has a long story... but I dont want to explain it all

It is weird being back in an old area. Everything is new... but different. The apartment is new and the area is still the same. But all the investigators have been left behind... without reason. So this week we have been going around activating all the old investigators who still wanted to hear about the gospel. It is weird! I can really see the changes that I’ve left with the people. A few members still have the goals we set together up on the wall. The strength of the members has doubled. Everyone was really really happy to see me again. It feels like coming home again... but not. The President said that I’m here to teach my companion the ropes of the area and then I’m out. Elder Villarroel is great, he already knows a lot. He is a stud! He has about 6 months in the mission and speaks really well. He is from Mendoza Argentina, so I'd hope he'd speak well. He is really into the work and excited to get things done. I’m excited to be with him. I’ll send you all more about him when I can... if I don't get emergency transferred out again. Elder Gubler and I got along great for a week... we were both really sad when we got the call. We were looking forward to working hard together for a time. But then he found out that one of the assistants was going to be his companion and he calmed down.


So, earthquakes... I’ve heard a lot about them. My companion Elder Villarroel lives near Chile and was worried about his family... but I believe they are fine. I also heard that California was falling into the sea again.... true or not? Here in La Plata everything is chill. I didn’t feel a thing, I didn’t even know it happened till Sunday when everyone was talking about it at church. As far as I heard, everyone in the mission is fine and didn’t feel a thing.

I don’t really have anything else to say. This computer is running slow... so I can’t send the audio file I made for you all. It'll have to wait for next week. We had some cool experiences this week... but most of them were experiences with people seeing me again and freaking out. I was really surprised at how many people remembered my name. The most spiritual encounters this week were with this family I found about 3 weeks before leaving... I loved them and found out that they got married and everything... then the elders dropped them??????? We taught a great lesson with them and the spirit was so strong. We taught about Christ's importance with us. I asked if they could feel the Spirit that was with us and the wife said, "You two are not going to make me cry, but yes." I loved it!!! I love seeing the changes in people. I love seeing people who were once sad be happy. I am terribly sad to have to leave the people I was teaching in Mayol. But I could talk with a few and it was hard leaving. After getting the call we RAN over to Adrean and Veronica to say goodbye. It was SO sad. I will miss them terribly. She gave me a drawing she did a long time ago of a father holding his son. On the back she wrote, "For Tomy (she can't say my last name), thank you so much for teaching us what the family really means and how to have true love within our home. You arrived at just the right time, and we will never forget what you've done to help us". I look forward to seeing their progress.

Well, I’m off. I love you all and hope to hear from you all soon... If anyone wants something... like a letter or what have you. Let me know.

Take care,
Elder Tomy Steinkuhler

PS Villa Zula says hi

No comments: