Monday, March 8, 2010

my brother from another mother

Lots to say, no time.

I have a picture or two to send, but the USB doesn't work here... I’ll send it next week. So, on Wednesday we had interviews with the president. I went with my paper informing me of my return day home. I placed all the needed information and told him I was certain... I wanted to extend. I knew it was something I had to do... so I did it. But as I did it, I felt this feeling like, it didn't matter. I don't know why. So I explained everything to the president and told him that if this one elder would not be able to extend with me, I wouldn't be able to extend. He said it was okay and that he would talk to that elder the next day. He signed my paper and everything. All I needed to do was send it in. I held onto it and thought I’ll just see what happens. Then I get a grand notice... Alex, my brother from another mother is getting married! And on the 7th of August! WHAT!!! My paper says I'm going home the 31st. Well, I pray and think about it again... and feel like I need to call this one elder. So I call him and ask him if it was all okay that we were going to stick around together the extra month. In a very sad shameful voice he says he can’t. Well, I’ve given in the towel. I won’t fight it anymore. I’m coming home like planned on the 2nd of August.

That said... I’ll return to my week, which was wonderful! The best part was the end of the week. Right before I left this area, I helped to reactivate a wonderful member by the name of Americo. He went inactive about 10 years ago. When we got to church, the branch president asked he and I to bless the sacrament. It had been 10 years since he had done it. It was a pleasure to break and bless the sacrament with him by my side. I would never have had that experience if I were to have stayed in my other area. I love this member and he has changed so much. He gave his testimony as well and it was amazing to look at who he was when I found him... to the worthy priesthood holder that he is now.

Another wonderful note. Someone in my last area will be getting baptized this week... well, married too. I won’t be able to go, but I’ll be here baptizing a wonderful old man that we’ve been teaching. He literally throws his arms in the air for excitement at some things we teach him. It reminds me of the Book of Mormon stories. He is about 80 and has more energy than I do. I love him to death.

We are teaching a lot of people who are just wonderful. I am growing in joy with them daily. Most of them were friends from long ago who have accepted the offer to learn more. One thing I love is that all the work I did here before, although it did not spit out baptisms... it was well worth the efforts. There are lots of people here ready for baptism, because of what we’ve brought to them. I love this work!

Quick explanation: that photo of us in the water is when it rained really hard here and we were on our way home walking in this river/street when we came upon this area of deep deep water. So we took a photo and carried on. It was fun. There was a lot of water that day.

Well, I love you all... take care this week,

E. Tommy Steinkuhler

PS Don’t forget to smile and have fun.

No comments: