Monday, July 5, 2010

123% better

I have no time... so let us start out with the good news; because I have a lot of news (not that interesting, but news), both good and bad.

I was able to do an intercambio with Elder Gaffney this week. He is the new elder of my new elder... or in other words (that are banned from missionary vocabulary) he is my grandson. He is a fun little fellow from Oregon. He speaks amazingly well and has a great desire to teach. We did a fun little change-up on Wednesday morning at 7:00. My companion and I went to another area and changed up with them.... then came back. Then in that morning we went out to work and found 7 people... a new family. Then we ate lunch and in the nighttime we round 5 more. It was a great day. We taught a ton of lessons and he got really excited for working and talking. He is a wonderful missionary and I had a great day.

Going off of that, this week we had better datos then any other week of my mission. I sent you all the standards of the mission some time ago. This week we were able to achieve or surpass all but baptismal goals. We found 31 new people this week... that beat my old personal record by like 12. It was a wonderfully hard week. We worked our tails off. I keep on getting people telling me not to slack off now that I’m at the end of the mission. But what the President told us about being the most effective at the end of the mission really hit me. So we decided to try and raise the bar even higher then what we had... although we almost died, we did it!!!! We had the best week of my mission this week. So don’t you worry, I’m focusing. Not only that but: (here comes the bad news)

Last Monday we ate at an all you can eat pizza place. I had about two entire pizzas... and almost died (they were big). I was already feeling somewhat sick... so that night after sending my update, I went home and couldn’t leave because I needed to be close to a bathroom. So we couldn't work on Monday. Which kind of sucked. But I’m better now... 123% better. However (more bad news)...

Yesterday while going to pick up investigators for church I fell on the train tracks. I was looking at the sky and well......... there was a hole. There was a place where people could walk underneath and I didn’t see it. So I hit my knee pretty bad. We were already running on a tight schedule, so I just brushed off the dirt and kept on going. But after our sacrament meeting it was killing me. Today it is a lot better, but still a little swollen. But it makes for a fun story.

Other bad news... President Asay is gone. He went home already. And President Stapley will not be in Argentina until this week. So we are a little bit without president for awhile.

Good news: It has been wonderfully warmer than normal. Still chilly, but not cold.

Bad news: Argentina lost to Germany. It was scary. We went out to try and teach during the game. As you walk down the street all you can head is a constant dialog from the narrator... Every house was watching it so it was heard in every part of the street. But we lost... and bad... and I look German. So people have been yelling at me for awhile. For a few hours I was really worried for my life, but most everyone knows that we are from the USA. So no prob Bob.

Good news: We discovered an inactive family this week. We started teaching them and he told us that the reason why they went inactive was because the Stake President had told him to cut his hair. I laughed and pulled out my driver’s license and explained what happened to me before the mission. We bonded for a time and they promised to return to the church. They said that their daughter is 9 years old and that they want us to baptize her. So I’m excited to work with them and bring them back into the church. It is really one of those moments where you just know that God sent you to that family. I have way too much in common with this brother that it is impossible for us not to be friends.

Well, I guess that is about it. So much happened this week, but I can’t explain it. We felt a strong desire to clap a house as we went by this week and found a family of 9... all brothers and sisters whose mother passed away 2 weeks ago. They needed our message so bad.

I promise you all that I’m not dying out. I’m working hard... I love the mission life and I love what we are achieving. Miracles are never tiresome. I’ll try and send some good stories next week. Thanks for all of your support.

I love you all,
Elder Steinkuhler

PS I’m excited to come home. Don’t get me wrong... I am very excited to have my interview with President Paxman. And I am even more excited to be able to be around for two of my friend’s weddings.

PPS The president told us to tell everyone that we have 6 months left... it is so fun telling people that and seeing their reactions. Some people believe me without a doubt... others tell me I should have less... others say that I’m already at home. It is fun to see what people think, but just like David has always told me... it is what the Lord thinks that is most important.

No comments: