Monday, July 12, 2010

how do sore thumbs stick out?

Well family, I'm tired. I am so excited to write this and then go take a nap!!! That is right, Elder Steinkuhler is going to take his first nap in like 6 months!!! I’ve planned it into my day, and will fully enjoy it.

I’ve been slightly sick this week. Almost everyone in the zone has been getting sick... it is just missionary life, nothing big, but bothersome. Today is particularly cold. It is freezing outside, but we went to play soccer, volleyball and Frisbee anyway. I guess my knee is doing better. It hurts unnaturally much when I get hit there, but other than that it doesn't bother me anymore, thanks for the support and prayers.

So, let me start off with the sad news... Spain won the world cup... the good news is that it is all over. I'm so tired of being caught in the street with nothing to do because people are watching the world cup. By the way, I didn't really care who won... but Merry served her mission is Spain, so I was rooting against it. I guess her mission was just better. :D So, people still give me flack (a real word) about being German. I guess I just stick out like a sore thumb (how do sore thumbs stick out?). It is kind of funny because people yell at us asking if we are German and my companion always answers by asking if he looks German. They look at him and he laughs telling them that he is for Paraguay. I love Elder Lucas, he is just a stud! We are working good together... well sorta. Let me explain.

This week was a particularly hard week. I don't know why. Everyone failed on us. Our investigators, our members. It was just difficult. It put me to thinking why. I think God has a lot of things for me to learn in my time left. This week I have learned a lot about what is most important and how to overcome trials. I'm so glad that my trials have not stopped... because when they stop my learning stops. I love being here, things are just so much more meaningful. A rejection at home is just a rejection. Now I can see what God is teaching me by telling me to talk to someone who is going to reject me. I’ve really learned that we are not able of baptizing or changing people. They have to do it for themselves. I’ve learned so much this week that I don't know if I can really explain it all. And even if I were to explain it all you wouldn't understand because it is something that you need to live. But one of the biggest things I’ve learned is that I am a true convert. I’ve learned that my testimony is strong and that it won’t fail me in hard times. But as I stop doing the good things in this life, I will weaken my testimony. All of you who read the scriptures will understand me when I say that the scriptures have power.

One of my favorite parts of the week was Saturday morning. I was feeling kind of sick, but not as sick as Elder Shupple. However, Elder Jones had called us to see if we could do a service project for some members in the area of Claypole. It was a "moving" with the assistants, the elders of Claypole and us. Well, last minute the assistants couldn't make it... so it was just Elder Shupple, Roy, Lucas and me who went early in the morning. It turned out to be a mud/clay shoveling project. It was HARD labor. And Elder Shupple was sick so he did little and almost fainted... he is such as good sport, I love that kid. So they left early. Then my companion died out after like hours. So in the end I shoveled all the clay and my companion wheeled it away. It was interesting to work basically alone for an hour. My muscles were tired and my mind alive... My body turned into a machine and I was able to ponder upon many subjects. It did me so much good. I loved it and the members were so grateful. I had forgotten how good it feels to work hard and serve others. I loved it to death. I’ve been looking for reasons why God has called me to where I am. I know that I am in the right spot and often the only one who can do what I can do. It was so obvious in this day that God wanted me to be exactly where I was at exactly that moment. I look forward to finishing the job if we have time.

Well, I'm off to take my nap. I love you all. I'm working hard and truly, surprisingly happy.

Take luck, I love you,

Elder Tommy Steinkuhler

PS I’m in a good mood, I hope you are too.

No comments: