Monday, April 26, 2010

showdown between the towns people and the cops

This week has been crazy! I was a good little elder and wrote down things to tell you all about. But truth be told this week was super interesting, so it would be hard not to be able to write something. First of all, thank you for all of your ideas... it really has helped me to get an outlook of what I am writing. I’ll try to include them in my next letters. But all in all I’ve decide to be a little more explanatory about our dealings in the everyday world. So I might be including some more interesting and colorful details... but I do so believing that no one will worry about my health. :)

There has been this slight problem going on in our area for the past few days. There is this huge field in the middle of our area. There are a lot of people who decided to take that field for their own and put houses on it (which is obviously illegal). We were returning home late one night and saw a ton of people out in this dark field putting up lines and burning grass... so we asked what was going on and they told us that people wanted to put up homes there. Turns out that they got caught because the next day there were a ton of police and everyone was sitting around the field waiting for the police to leave. Well, they are still there. It has been like a week. It is this showdown between the towns people and the cops to see who will leave first. People have basically set up a little city there with a soup kitchen and tents and fires and everything. The area is totally unrecognizable. Every time we go by there people yell at us and stuff. It is so weird... the middle of our area is just SO different. But hey, what can you do?

This week was our ward conference... the relief society president was in charge of putting together about 35 little wagons. Well, I went over and helped her sew and glue and get things ready. It turned into this big problem, but it was nice to help and use my talents.

Speaking of talents. My companion and I were asked to help with the ward choir... so every night this week we had to walk to our church and practice (so we’ve been getting home like an hour and a half late every night this week). I started out with the melody part to help them... then I was moved to the Alto part... then Tenor, then Bass.... The choir was small and needed a lot of help. In the end my companion sang tenor and I directed! It was so weird teaching people how to sing and then directing them... I am so not a director, but we got a lot better with me directing. No one knew how to direct or sing... so I was like a music king within the members... it was funny. And on Sunday they sounded pretty good. Not as well as we had practiced, but good all the same. It could be that they were all in shock from seeing a train wreck on the way to the church (I’m telling you... we had the weirdest week). There was this dumb person who tried to beat the train and lost... No offence to the people here... but they don’t know how to drive.

It is super cold! All of the sudden it got really cold, especially at night. It was really hot one day, then the next we needed coats. Go figure.

We are teaching some amazing people now. We were praying to be able to find someone to be able to baptize this transfer but we were not able to find anyone super ready until recently. Two Sundays ago this inactive member and his family just show up in church. I sit with him thinking he is an active member (because I’m still new) and find out that he was inactive for like 4 years and felt called back. He has twin daughters of the age of 9. So next week we will be baptizing them and another wonderful lady by the name of Karina. Elder Chatwin really wanted to baptize his last transfer and it looks like we will have at least 4 this transfer. YEAH!!!!
We also found this other lady named Mari who is just super ready, but she needs to get divorced and then married. I don’t know if I’ll be around when she gets baptized. But we found her and she is just GOLDEN! She came to church yesterday and loved it. She has 9 kids and stays home all the time. She loves reading and has already read a lot of the Book of Mormon... she read all of Moroni between visits because she liked the book so much. I love her, she is really great. She wants all of her kids to get baptized and become like the members of the church. She is just so wonderful.

I had a question about marriages. Here is the deal. Most people don’t get married here. And if they do, they get separated quickly and getting a divorce takes upwards of six months to a year with a cost of 1000 to 3000 pesos... which is what most people make in 6 months. It is really hard to get divorced and with everyone wanting divorces, people always think that it is just better to live together without any legal attachments. People don’t see the importance of marriage. They all say that they are married in their hearts and that is all that matters. Well, before the eyes of God they are in sin... so the people we teach really need a strong testimony to get married before baptism... because if they are living together and not married they can’t get married... that whole law of chastity thing.

I also had a question about what the standards (or goals) of the mission are... so here is a quick overview:

1 baptism weekly
8 overall fechas
2 new fechas
5 investigators in the sacrament meeting
10 lessons with member present
30 other lessons
10 lessons to inactives/recent converts
12 new investigators
2-3 divisions (depending on companionship)
20 references contacted
50 contacts

That all probably doesn’t make any since... but if you read Preach My gospel it will make a lot more since.

Okay... I need to dash. But I’ll work on my next weekly update for you all.

I love you,

E. Tommy Steinkuhler


PS I’ll be calling home for Mother’s Day. Probably after church here... at like 1 PM here... or perhaps later if it would be better... let me know. The thing is that mother’s day is my companions last day on the mission... so I don’t know if I will be able to call at a reasonable time. So let me know what you want and I’ll think about it and let you know.
PPS I’m happy.

No comments: