Monday, August 31, 2009

Somehow I’ve been called to be a District Leader

QUESTION TIME¡¡¡¡
-Mate: Maté is a drink here in Argentina and some other South American countries. It is basically a tea, but you put the herbs in a... maté. You pour hot water on it. Then with a straw with a strainer on it you drink it... basically. But they refill it A LOT! So, everyone just shares the same straw. As missionaries we are not allowed to drink it, but I bought a matè. So when I get home I’ll try it out.

-Do you contact on the bus and train? YES!!! We talk to everyone. I didn't do it when I got to the country... nor did anyone else. But now it seems like the cool thing to do.

-Do you carry an umbrella? or just your raincoat? First of all... I'm from WASHINGTON. We don't believe in raincoats or umbrellas. Besides, normally we get caught out preaching. There really is no easy way to go back to the apartment, so we just get wet and hope the people have pity on us.

What do you carry with you?.... BOMs ? tracts? planner? lunch? ...in your yellow backpack, I guess. do you have a phone to keep in touch with the DL? I use my shoulder bag. When I go on long trips I use my yellow bag, but normally no. In my bag I have my Book of Mormon, planner, pamphlets, books of the Book of Mormon to give away, pocket hymnal, notes, and pens. Sometimes a movie or two, and always plastic bags for the rain. And no, I don't carry the Bible. I don't use it anymore. One of us has the cell phone. We use it to call appointments, leaders, etc.

Now... let’s get to the big news. I got transferred. I am no longer in Villa Zula. After 7 months there... I left. It feels SO WEIRD!!!! We get the calls Saturday night... so Sunday I said goodbye to everyone. A very sad day. It was like saying goodbye to my family, except I'm not sure if I’ll ever see them again. In any case, we finished strong. I figured... hey, I need to teach this new elder what working is all about. This week we found 5 new families and ended the week with 65 lessons in total. The elder who replaced me is all set up for GREAT success. I loved Villa Zula with all my heart, but it almost killed me. It is not an easy area. But it seems like in return for my hard work... the president has sent me to one of the best areas of the mission. Here I will baptize a nation. I'm in the area of Mayol... in Florencia Varela. My companion is Elder Acuña... from Chile. I live in another apartment of 4 with Elder Kushlan again... my old companion. I know none of this really makes a difference to you all... but to me it is huge. So... Here I am. Happy, sad, content... ready to work.

Speaking of working... The Lord has asked me to do a little something more. Somehow I’ve been called to be a District Leader. I don't know why... but I’ll do it the best I can. So... no, I don’t use the cell phone to call my district leader... because I don’t have one.

As for my request of the whole no-kisses thing... Not sure it worked. I did come here, so I guess I won’t get anymore. But last week I was averaging 5 a day (my companion kept count).

As a mission we set a new record. We baptized 49 in one month. The old record was 46. As a mission we are getting better and I as a person am more and more excited to work for God. I hope everyone is doing well. I’m trying to send photos this week so that everyone gets to see how I am. Don’t laugh at my yellow shirts. It just means I work hard.

As of my current state... I am good. Thank you all for the wonderful prayers that I know are coming my way. Thank you all for the love I receive from you all. My Father was wonderful enough to send me an e-mail with little notes from a lot of people. I want to let you know it was one of the best things I’ve received in the mission. I love you all and admittedly... miss you all as well. I hope the photos go over well.

Love love love,
Elder Tommy Steinkuhler

PS This is me walking in the wilderness finding a small peopling of peoples.


PPS This is me and Elder Acuña


PPPS This is how much my shirts dont fit me... HAHAHA

No comments: