Monday, August 10, 2009

I joined "The Gentleman´s Club" this week

What to say, what to say? Every week is so full that it feels like a month, yet when I get to the computer I cannot think of anything to say. I can tell you all about the wonderful p-day I'm having. But I bet you don't want to hear about that. Actually, I will tell you a bit about it.


Saturday the 8th of August of 2009, my loyal and once trusted shoes died. I have photos of the sad event. The sides ripped open about 4 months ago and I sewed them back up. Then they ripped open again, and I didn't fix them. Then the sole on my right shoe started falling off. They were only about a millimeter thick anyway, but still... they fell off. Well, they were falling off... so I just ripped them off. I decided re-soling my shoes would not be the best option. So today I went shoe shopping. It was something I had planned for quite some time now... but today was the day. You may all be wondering what I am wearing in the mean time. Elder Trent lent me his shoes. But today I bought some nice no-lace shoes AND a cool polo hat. Because the store was just amazing and the hat just called my name. That and I was wearing a green sweater-vest, so it just went along. I might admit, I feel somewhat sophisticated.


As for the week, it was a rather long one. We had interviews and intercambios (companion exchanges) and all sorts of stuff. It was a really eventful week. We dropped the cane on people. We worked with members. We did everything we should of... except baptize. We focused as hard as we could during the week and by the end I realized that I had taught more lessons this week than any other week on my mission. Which is interesting because we basically lost a day doing interviews. That was one of the reasons I bought the hat. I joined "The Gentleman´s Club" this week. Teaching more than 40 lessons in one week. So I bought a gentleman`s hat. We took out another baptismal fecha for this amazing kid. So hopefully in a few weeks I’ll be able to see another baptism!!!!

We have a new focus in our mission. We focused for a long time on teaching skills. For anyone who wants to see the data... here is what WAS happening. For every 30 people we found... one would get baptized. Now we are at about 15. A little lower than that. So we are focusing on finding people now. And to do it we have some new techniques. Basically we just say hi and then walk into the house. We have been praying for help doing that and this week we found about 7 people doing that. I was really scared doing it the first few times, especially since 90% of the people have metal bars in front of their house... and because I’m training. But it works well. I found an entire family just by saying "Is this your family?" and walking in shaking hands. At one point in my life I could have said I was fearless... Now I know I am.

Now that I have a year I feel the pains of a year on the mission. I’m loving it, but I’ve decided that more than a year like this will actually kill me. I told you all I wasn’t going to come home. Well, I think I might. We`ll see in a few months.

My training-ness is going pretty good. I’m enjoying training but it is really hard. We both started loosening up this week and enjoying it. But there were a few weeks there that were pretty uptight. Needless to say, I’m very thankful for all your prayers and concerns. As for the great missionary update: "I’m doing well. Keep the letters coming. I love you all. -Elder"

I don’t really have any stories I would like to share this week. But I would like to tell you all again... it is amazing to teach someone and feel the Spirit. To be in the middle of a lesson and the Spirit is just running out of you toward the other person. To say just want they need and to see the change in their face as the feel God`s love. And it only comes through complete and perfect obedience. I’m sorry if I have been rather cold to any of you. I’m sorry if I haven’t written in a long time. I’ve been really focused lately. I’m going to try and find time to write people. I know that a lot of big things have been happening to the people I love most... and I’m sorry that I haven’t said anything to you yet. My apologies for not being there for you all. I’ll try to do better.

In case I don’t see you: Good afternoon, Good evening and Good night (for the next year). Hugs and kisses to you all.

All my love,
Elder Tommy Steinkuhler

PS I hope you like the photos.
PPS Are there any questions?

No comments: