Monday, August 24, 2009

Protect me from the kissing people

So, I wrote down everything this week so I wouldn't forget what happened. Hopefully I can write you all a more complete letter, especially since I have a lot of time today.
First of all... I have a few requests. I really don't like asking for things, but I would like a few things from the States that I can't really buy here. For example: shirts. All my shirts are.......... old. And shirts down here don't normally have front pockets. That and I've been wearing HUGE shirts for the past 9 months...ish. If anyway wants to send me some light weight material long sleeve white shirts... I would love you a lot. Also, church movies. Not like "Finding Faith in Christ" or "The Restoration". Movies like "The Other Side of Heaven", "The RM", "The Best Two Years", etc. Something I can watch with the ward for a church activity. Oh, and NOT Singles Ward... please.
Also, I would like to know if any of you have ideas for cool activities to do with members. Cool ward activities that are low budget but fun.
Sweet... so this week started out on a bit of a bummer streak. Our baptism got cancelled on behalf of an early baby. It looks like 7 months is not the expected amount of time to be pregnant. Funny thing is... she got pregnant right after I got here... shows how long Ive been here. Anyway, she and her baby daughter are doing fine. But her son (the kid we were going to baptise) wants them both to be there. So we have to put it off.
Then there is Ariel. Some... people came and beat him up this past Tuesday at about 3 in the morning. He is a member of about 2 years. Not a pretty story. They injured his intestines and he had to have emergency surgery. The next morning our Branch President and his son-in-law gave him a blessing. Oh the miracles of the Priesthood. He is already sitting up and everything. No one has ever seen someone heal so fast. It is great!
Fun little story to express how long I've been here. At the beginning of my second transfer we found a nice lady by the name of Daniela. We taught her one time, but dropped her because she was never home. But this week we walked by and I had the impression that she might be there. So we clapped and sure enough, she was there. She invited us in just by looking at me and asked me a question. I answered her and she dropped her jaw and said, "Oh my goodness... you can talk Spanish now!!!" Turns out Ive become a little bit better since I got here. Turns out she is learning to sew now. Turns out I know more then she does and she wants my help. Interesting how old talents come in handy.
Speaking of old talents, I cook a lot here. Today we all got together and I made pancakes for everyone. Oh, and we watched LORD OF THE RINGS!!!! The first one. For some reason it got approved by the presidents wife and so we watched it. AMAZING, especially after seeing The Restoration 5000 times. The Restoration just doesn't have enough heads being cut off to satisfy all of a young mans needs.
So, Sunday we went to the top of our area again. Only this time we walked. Don't worry, it was only like 10km. Not a biggy. We decided to head out into the wilderness and low and behold... we found the long lost people of Los Tores. There is an entire group of people up there who have never heard anything from the missionaries. We plan on heading up there lots of times this week. I'll try to send photos when I can... I don't think this computer can do it.
Side note... I know I've mentioned this before, but I don't think I've ever been kissed so frequently in my life. For those of you who pray for me, could you ask the Lord to help protect me from the kissing people. Men AND women alike.
I guess that is really about it. I don't know what else to say to you all. I'm out of time anyway. I hope all is well at home. I miss you all terribly. I might be transferred next week. We will see. Um... Are there any questions?
Love you all,
Elder Tommy Steinkuhler
PS I'm doing good.
PPS So is my companion
PPPS How are you all? Long time no talk.

No comments: