Monday, August 17, 2009

I like to be semi-white.

**question … where do you teach most of the time? And how? I don’t think you use flip charts either. Words and Spirit alone?

I GOT A QUESTION! I GOT A QUESTION!
Answer: We teach in various places. Like I said, we basically just walk in now. People here don't really have chair sets. Normally we sit down on logs, bed corners, rickety stools, etc. The houses here are sometimes just one small room. So we sit around whatever center piece they have... or just stand there. Whatever works. We really can’t sit on the floor, because it is often dirt... and I like to be clean. I know my shirts are not white anymore, but still... I like to be semi-white.

Every missionary teaches differently because we don't have a written lesson plan anymore. We really follow the Spirit with every lesson. Normally I use a few photos I’ve collected from magazines and pamphlets. When I teach the Plan of Salvation I draw it out in the back of their Book of Mormon. But normally we use words and examples and physical object to prove our points.

So, I’ve realized recently that I don't write as much as I use to. I started taking notice of it about a month ago. Since then I’ve realized how hard it is to write now. I was severely concerned for many days, until I realized why. It is so hard for me to switch from Spanish to English. Spanish spelling is so much easier. Not only that, but I speak Spanish almost all day. So the word order is very different. When I do speak English, it is with other missionaries who speak a mix of Spanish-English like me. So when I want to send a formal letter or formal anything in English... it is REALLY hard! So, I’ll try to practice my English a bit more so that you`ll get some better letters.

So, the weather has changed up a bit here. It was amazing how it went from freezing one day to SUMMER! Then a few days later it rained and everything felt like ice again. This Sunday morning it rained cats and dogs. People here don't have cars and taxis are expensive. So we only had us, the first councilor and the secretary in church. Four in total... a difficult couple of hours. Fortunately we all were prepared to teach and pray. Anyway, with the warm weather, everything has changed. New smells are in the streets and people act completely different. I`ll admit, I don't like the heat, but it brightens up things a bit. I'm sure I`ll be tired of it in a few weeks.

I have an experience to share with you all. More like a command. NEVER GO INACTIVE!!! We have a wonderfully terrible appointment this week with an inactive man. He ended up yelling at us more than anything. When we get baptized we get baptized for the right reason. Or at least I believe. Don't forget that reason. There is nothing sadder in this world then a person who abandons God because of sad things that happen. It has been some time since I wrote home a "call to repentance" letter. This is my plea to all of you: Read your scriptures, pray and go to church. If I get home and you are not doing these things... we are going to have a seriously long talk. I won’t forget.

Ha ha, anyway... it was a rather nice week. Rather difficult, but rather good. My companion is getting used to teaching, so that makes me as happy as can be. He is still really energetic and new. But it is amazing working with someone like that. Don’t worry about me. Things are going up. And from what I hear, things are going up for all of you as well.

I’d like to send a Happy Birthday and a Congratulations to all of you with Birthdays and big events in your lives. You know who you are. Chloe, Aaron, Zerr, Father, Jamo, Becky, Alex, David, etc... etc. Know that you are never far from my prayers and heart. I love you all with all my heart. Thanks for your support.

All my love,
Elder Tommy Steinkuhler

PS We should have a baptism this week! But we might change it because his mother just had a little baby daughter!!!!

No comments: