Monday, February 1, 2010

I write in books

teaching a family

Question: How’s your weight? Are you fat from being fed well, or skinny from starving and walking everywhere?

Answer: I'm getting skinnier. I've walked a lot more and the members have basically stopped feeding us... and I don't cook much anymore. I also drink a lot of water, so I'm not very hungry. So I kind of just drink milk and eat bread/empenadas. Don't worry... I'm healthy. I won’t die of the scurvy.

Well, this week was long. I managed to stay away from all kinds of metal trashcans and bawling fits. However, I did almost die in the heat and my pants don't fit me very well. I also managed to re-sew my shoes and take some fun pictures. I’ve been taking more photos recently. Especially photos of the sunsets. I’ll try to send some home today.



Bad news... people have been getting mad at me. I know that NORMALLY we shouldn't write in books. But when we give away books of The Book of Mormon, I write in them. I write how to pray and where to read. Well, until a few weeks ago... no one has got mad. For the first time ever, this lady blew up at me. And ever since then my companion likes to bring it up when I write in other people`s books. So people have been making it known to me that I should not write in books. And when they see my scriptures, they almost faint. I think it has to be the people I'm teaching right now... not all people. Most people here don't care about books... they are normally dirty and shredded. So a few arrows and words should be okay, no? All well...

teaching a family

Funny little story. Last Sunday we went to a member’s house to eat. They were watching Harry Potter 6 the movie. It killed me a little, but I asked them to turn it off. They saw the sadness in my face and asked me why. I explained how much I love Harry Potter and how much I have been waiting for all the movies and books. They were all excited that I knew what was going to happen in the 7th movie. They asked me what happens, and I explained it... sort of. After doing that the youngest wanted to read the book, but didn't have it. I happen to have a copy in Spanish... that I can’t/don’t use. He wanted to borrow it, so I told him he could... but only after he finished the Book of Mormon. So he grabbed his book and started reading. He is 9 years old. I expected it would be a joke and he’d give up. He said he’d read the book in one week, so that the next Sunday when we ate with them again, I would bring Harry Potter 7. Well, I brought it by but he hadn't finished the book. He was in Heleman 11!!!!! For those of you who know the Book of Mormon, Heleman is REALLY FAR! He said he didn't understand it all, but he will finish it to read Harry Potter 7. BUT WAIT, it doesn't end there. We were telling another family about it and their son (12 years old) got jealous and said... and what about me? I asked what he wanted and he told me a dollar. Well... 1 dollar is nothing, even here. Not to mention I have no 1 dollar bills. So I told him I’d give him 10 dollars if he read the Book of Mormon in one week, and 5 if it took him 2 weeks. I know I'm kind of paying people to read the scriptures, but I don't feel bad at all.

This week was especially hot. I am no fan of the heat, but we will make it through. I need to cut my hair, but I'm afraid that when I do I will burn my scalp with the heat.

Other than that, I don't have anything to say. Because I need to go. Sorry this is short.

I love you all,
Elder Steinkuhler

PS could someone please do me a favor? I would like to write President Richardson, but I don't know what mission he is in. Can someone find his address for me?

PPS No one asked me to write them a real letter... so I'm not going to write anything. Don't complain if I don't send you anything.

No comments: