Monday, January 18, 2010

So I climbed up the tree

Well, I’ve got a funny story. So last Monday we did service in the morning. We took the roof off the house of an investigator and left right when some of his friends got there to help him. That night as we were going home we walked past this bag (common article of the street) and my companion heard a cat. So we returned and found a kitten next to the bag. I picked it up... but still heard a cat. I looked up the tree and saw another little cat in the tree. So I (in the dark) climbed up the tree and saved the cat. As I hopped down a group of girls pasted by. They stopped and goggled over the cats. The last one grabbed the cat I plucked from the tree and said it was precious... and left with it, not even talking to us. So... we were left with a kitten. We brought it home and bathed it. The next day we gave it to a member as a birthday present. BUT... the reason I tell you all this:

So that night there was a HUGE wind storm and two really good things happened... the house we did the service for was okay, but if we hadn't helped them they would have been really wet that night. And we saved 2 little cats from certain death. The houses here had their roofs ripped off by the wind. We had 3 investigators loose part or all of their roofs and one investigator that had their whole house fall over (fortunately they were away on vacation). There were a lot of people terrified for their lives as huge plates of metal went flying through the air (that would be their roofs)... but no one in our area was hurt.

And that is about all I’ve got for the entire week. This week has been a running circus ride. A lot of things have happened to us and all of them were weird and/or sad... so I don’t really feel like talking about them. We did have our Zone Conference though and that was great! I love our president. He animates us a lot and gets us going. He also teaches us in these pure spirit lessons that just edify everyone. It is wonderful. I wonder if people ever feel that way when we leave. We’ve had a lot of people tell us that they feel the spirit when we teach and they want to make changes in their lives. We have lots of people who want to get baptized, but ALL of them need to get married. About 20 of them. It is kind of a bummer. But I love seeing the people change and the inner light start to come out. The best part is seeing the appearance of the person change. These people are often dark skinned and dark haired... but when they turn to God, I swear they are whiter and brighter then I have ever been. I love this work and I love being here.
I’ll be honest with you all... I’ve been rather trunky lately, but I have also never been so happy to be here. The feelings of love and hate get stronger no matter what direction you go. As I love the people more and desire more to stay so do the feelings of hate and desires to grow stronger. I know I’m in the right place and I know I’m happy... I just hope you all can see that too.

Sorry this is a short one, I’ve got stuff to do. I hope and pray that all is well.

All my love,
Elder Steinkuhler

No comments: