Monday, January 11, 2010

he was a very angry little man

The gang and our Bishop Pohl
Elders Coats, Sasanuma, Yo, and Roy

Well, I'm lame... I never leave enough time to write all I want to. So let’s just jump back into this thing about my companion Elder Roy.

Elders Roy y Steinkuhler

Elder Roy started the mission a year ago here in Mayol (my area). It was his first area... well, he came back. He is a funny little fellow. I love working with him. He makes me laugh a lot, which is kinda funny because people told me he was a very angry little man. He has a lot of funny qualities that I’ve touched upon and almost fallen over laughing. For example, he is always tired. So what with the heat and all... he often finds it hard to stay awake in lessons. He often does drastic things to stay awake. The only weird thing about our companionship is that he knows the members and I know the investigators. I almost never go by the members... active or inactive. But he said it was almost all they did when he was here. So every once in a awhile we are walking along and he claps at a house. I think he is doing a contact, but out pops some random obscure member. Ha ha, good times.

Well, the temperature here is murderous. I remember seeing movies about people dying in the heat with bugs flying around their heads and sweat dripping off their faces. I remember thinking that was so weird and only happened in the wild jungles in Central America. Not true! As I whipped sweat off my face and swatted at a fly before clapping a house, my mind returned to that thought and I realized I'm in one of those places. I hear there is lots of snow up where I live. Well, the thought of snow is quickly melted from my mind with the heat here.... IT IS HOT!!! And HUMID!

Well, we found a bunch of really great families recently. One of them is a couple who were taught by the missionaries about 3 years ago. They are great. They know lots about the gospel and are excited to have Elders back in the house.

Another is a couple that lives in front of the last. They are wonderful and interested in finding answers to their questions.

Another is another couple that was also taught by the missionaries... but about 10 years back. I’m not sure if the father can read. But they are wonderful. I’ve fallen in love with their daughter. Her name is Jennifer and she is 8. She and her sisters are complete dolls and have put in a lot of effort to learn my name. They are wonderful!


One last thing... we are teaching a wonderful lady who has been listening to the missionaries for about a year now. She cannot get baptized because she needs to get married. Well, last night as we were heading home, we crossed paths with her. She looked really unhappy. We stopped and asked what was up. She started to expound upon the fact that she separated from her boyfriend that night. They were going to get a marriage license this week... so this was somewhat of a shock for us. We chatted for a bit and then headed over to the chapel. We prayed and as she explained what happened, I prayed and opened up the scriptures. I just randomly picked a scripture and it was perfect. It had her name in it and everything. We read it and she went home feeling a lot better. We are going to go to her house right now. I am so glad that we were where the Lord wanted us to be at just the right time. I hope you were all able to talk to someone this week as well... be that instrument in God’s hand this week. If you were, or had an experience this week... write it to me.

Love you all,
Tommy

No comments: