Monday, December 7, 2009

We are the Friendly Giants of Mayol

I’ve been informed that I’ll be completing day 500 of the mission this week. Hiza for Israel. This week was a wonderful one. We worked really hard and got a lot done... but there is still so much to do. It is SO hard to get up in the morning. But it is just as hard to turn around at night and return to the apartment. I find the hardest rule for me to follow is to get home on time. We almost never make it within the right time frame. I talked to the president about it and he told me to be careful. There are dangerous people out at night. Fortunately they all come up to the bottom of my elbow... and everyone knows us... and loves us. Okay, not EVERYONE, but the majority. It is so funny. Elder Jones (from the MTC) was in Mayol for a long time as well. So everyone thinks I'm him, because I'm huge and lovable (and humble). We are the Friendly Giants of Mayol. It`s good being me.

Well, I had some wonderful questions asked to me that I would like to share with all. First of all... I had inquires of how Argentina really is. Well... the baptismal pictures are all taken from within church walls. The churches are not that different from the states. They are a little smaller and have no carpet (carpet is almost non-existent in Argentina). But the homes are mostly huts or small cement boxes. It is very humbling. The roads are mostly dirt and flat. There are often mud holes, and dirt holes... and animals, or carcasses. It is a different world. Some day I’ll come down here again and take pictures of all the... different things. Until that day... imaginense.

Speaking of which... fun little update, I’ll be speaking only Spanish after the Christmas phone call home (ET phone home (Elder Tommy) it just fits too perfectly). Which will be taking place about Christmas Day... mas o menos. Be there or be square.

So, next question: How do you "train"?
I don’t really train. I just kind of be a good example and guide us to do the right things. I teach my companion the rules and how to follow them correctly. I explain any mission specific rules (like no matè). I invite him to be the best missionary possible and then leave him to experiment for himself. I know that sounds a little weird, but it’s true. One thing I’ve learned from all my teachings and all my learnings is that teachers suck! Teachers don’t ever do anything. They can explain new ideas or what have you. The real teacher is the self, accompanied by the Holy Ghost. So I explain and INVITE... then leave him to pick his own path. I try to guide him to the best path if at all possible, but it’s not always possible. So, I’d say training is more of a guiding process. Never should a trainer try to crush what is already good. So I just push here, or pull there. I don’t do much.

All I can think of to say about this week is that it was crazy. We will be having 3 baptisms next week... so we’ve been working our tails off all day, every day. It is kinda like running on a roller coaster, you just try not to get hit by the train as you run around in circles. Hey, that is a good analogy. I feel like I’m running on a roller coaster track. YEAH!!! IM BRILLIANT!!! Anyway, it was a good week. My companion is amazing. He is getting better and better every day. We are working harder and harder every day. We are teaching better and better. My father sent me a bible recently and I’ve been putting it to use. I haven’t taught from the Bible in a very long time. I took an hour to get some numbers back in my head and I’ve been trying to use it daily since. I love the Book of Mormon, and it is hard for me to pull away from it. But I need to help people understand all of God's words.

Noche de Luz was this week. It was the Nativity choir from the mission. It was great!

And... I’m gone. I’ll send photos next week. I couldn’t do it today, computers here suck.

Love you all,
Tommy

No comments: