Monday, July 27, 2009

The coldest thing I think I’ve ever done

I’ll just be honest with you all. This was one of the longest weeks of my life. So many things happened it was crazy.

Well, Tuesday we woke up to LOTS of rain. We had to travel to the mission headquarters by boat almost. Every street was about a foot deep of water. So we trudged over to the train, and from the train to the chapel. We were taught a little bit and then went to the mission home (or, in other words... where the mission president lives with his family). There were 4 Latin’s that came in and 9 Yankees. My companion turned out to be Elder Gallardo from Chile. He is 19 and really excited to work. Once we got home we dropped off his bags and took off. We swam down the roads again to a few appointments. He handled it like a pro. He really is a champ. He has some great new ideas and some interesting outlooks on life that will really spruce up our teachings. It is odd looking back at when I came here. I wonder what my trainer was thinking.

The terrible news is that on his first week we just happen to not have gas in the apartment. That means we can’t cook or shower. There were a few details about the apartment that no one told us about. We ended up being without water for 3-4 days. Let me just tell you, I had the coldest showers of my life. The water tank is outside and it got to 0º a couple nights in a row. It was really the coldest thing I think I’ve ever done. And my poor new companion just went a few days without showering. He also didn't have a sleeping bag... so I lent him mine and we went out and bought him one Thursday. Oh my poor poor companion. The first week is always the longest... but even more so when there are problems like this.

Well, before I write you all again I will finish my first year as a missionary. Yup... I’d like to say that I should be finishing 2 years already... but at the same moment I feel like I just started. There is something interesting that happens to missionaries around this time. We seem to just forget and loose all connections to home. I can honestly not remember what it is like to be a normal person right now. My life seems to be a blur of baptismal dates, old shoes, scriptures, Spanish words, ties, etc. I'm sorry to inform you all that I probably will NOT be coming home in a year. I don't think I can make the change back into a normal person.

Well, from what I hear, everyone is doing well. Jamo and Rebbecca should be getting married this week. My congratulations. Save me a napkin or something... Or just send me a photo... that might be better. I hope Alex got home safe and sound... I'm kind of worried about him going to the beaches of Hawaii right after the mission... tell me he got home in one piece. As for the rest of you... I hope and pray you will all stay safe until I see you again.

Love,
Elder Tommy Steinkuhler

PS I am having fun... for all of you who worry.

No comments: