Monday, April 13, 2009

"Winging it" is not a missionary term

Well, this week was interesting. We had a lot of success... but also a lot of hardships. But thus is life. I really don´t know why this week impresses me like that, but it feels like one of the longer weeks of my life (but not the longest). Well, let’s start at the top.

Monday we were not going to go out and teach because we had preparation day and then a meeting with our district. But that meeting got cancelled, so we went out anyway. It was interesting working without a plan. Normally we have plans and go with the plan. "Winging it" is not a missionary term... but we did it anyway.

Tuesday we went to the temple. That was a trip! For those of you who have ever gone to the temple... you know that the feeling is amazing inside the temple. Well, the feeling was the same and I understood the Spanish better. But for some reason it felt even more wonderful to go and feel that peace. It had been so long. The best part was visiting the sealing room and seeing two huge mirrors reflecting each other. I just stood there and felt like I was seeing forever. I love the power of mirrors. I’ll send picture later.

The rest of the weekdays passed fairly uneventfully. Not to say that things didn't happen... I just mean that all the days run into each other, so I can’t remember exactly what day things happened. I just know when "p-day eve" or Sunday is... then P-day. Every other day just runs into the other. Haha... thus is life.

Some great stories for all of you out there wondering what we do.

The man that looks like me (I sent pictures). He asked for a blessing some... months back. And his daughter also. I gave the daughter hers. I felt impressed to tell her that her arm would heal, so I didn't argue and just said it. We left and I didn't hear anything about it until this week. The Hermana told me what happened. It turned out that after we left she returned to life and about a week later told her "ya know... I haven't had a problem with my arm since those boys came". I love hearing about how the priesthood has blessed people’s lives... especially when I was there to witness it.

There are a few people around here who are not having the easiest time. We sometimes randomly visit inactive people on the ward list. We had been trying to go by this one lady for some time. We finally got her number and called her. We set up an appointment and went over. She had just broken away from her abusive husband and was still struggling to get on top of things. We shared something briefly and she told us that she had thrown away everything from the gospel... Book of Mormon, folletos, all of it. So we set up another appointment to come back. When we came back she was upset and asked us to stop coming by. I think it was the next day that someone failed on us, so as we were going by her house on the way to another person... her husband ran up calling us over. We came over and he said "My wife isn't doing so well. Can you stop by?" We swung by and she was bawling her eyes out. We came in and sang. She felt the Spirit once again. So we gave her a Book of Mormon. We read and she felt really good. When we left she was basically giddy with joy. The next morning we came by again and watched the Restoration and sang some more. She was radiant with happiness. So we set up an FHE to come back and teach the family. And all of this happened in one week. Talk about a crazy roller coaster she must be going on. But in reality... she is doing great. We have learned that some people receive the Gospel... get baptized and then the missionaries get changed. Then they never hear from the missionaries or members again. It is SO important that they have the three required things (nutrients from the good word, a friend and a responsibility)... and continued visits from the missionaries.

We are also working with a member who is having troubles coming back to church. This week we went by and found her arguing with her mother. We heard them outside and clapped anyway. They let us in and we could tell they were in bad tempers. We read and prayed with them. We tried our hardest to bring the gospel light into their house and finally, right before we left, they felt it. They cheered up and started laughing. Oh the power of the laughter. Then on Sunday she came to church... for the first time in who knows how long. Dressed in her Sunday best too!

The funny thing is I'm almost out of time to write about all the others. Basically this is what we did all week. We went to people’s houses and brought the Spirit back. Especially to in-actives. We as missionaries are called to "invite others to Christ". But really, we are supposed to teach and baptize. But in some areas, the members are the ones who need the invitation. We work just as hard here in Villa Zula with the members as we do with the investigators. This week many more have realized the need to come back to church and have committed to come. People who have stopped going to church for years and years. People who have almost lost the light they once had. Though it doesn't look as wonderful as baptismal photos, it certainly does feel just as wonderful.

Little note about Easter. Here Easter is really Catholic based. A lot of people fast and stuff... and the whole Easter egg thing is kinda weird. They have chocolate eggs full of little candies. I actually learned how to do them... but it really is a lot more work than it is worth. I don't know why people do it. One interesting thing about Berisso (the actual city I'm in) is that they do a fake Crucifixion every year. We missed it because we were helping the other elders prepare for a baptism. But apparently a guy goes around town all day dressed up like Christ and carrying a cross. Then at night they tie him up to it for a few hours. Not exactly what I call fun... but interesting no...

Anyway... I’m off. Take care everyone and remember the REAL importance of why we have Easter... please.

Love you all,

Tommy

PS I’ll send picture next week.

No comments: