Monday, April 6, 2009

I’m so glad I can be here.

Well, I’m um... tired. This week was crazy. It FINALLY got cold enough to make me feel cold! For the first time in about a year... I got cold. I’m loving it. I’m assuming that is the reason for why I’m so tired. The cold gives me more energy and so I’ve been working harder (in truth I don’t get more energy... I just feel more energyful).

Well, this week we worked our little tails off and found a whole ton of people. We also went around and taught with members! Really, people can’t get baptized or have a true desire to stay active if they don’t know members. So, we have really helped our investigators this week. The best part was when L. Tom Perry dropped the hammer on all the people in conference about how they need to find. I loved that. And also the part when we looked around and saw all the members squirming in their chairs. I think we`ll be getting more references and lessons with member from now on... ¡Ojela!

Well, I must admit... I didn’t see much of conference this time. We were not allowed to see anything on Saturday because we didn’t have any investigators with us. We did however see priesthood (Sunday morning recording) Most of Sunday morning and all of Sunday afternoon. It was so cool. We had a lot of inactive people come. We had a lot of success and a few really long days. I’m really trying to lose myself in the work now. I’ve realized that I can actually speak Spanish... so I’m working more and more at teaching and committing. So far... it really has been good.

Quick story because I’m short on time.
April Fool’s day... we went out tracking like always. Someone failed us... so we went to my brilliant back-up plans... which also failed us. So we were left with nothing to do for about 30 minutes. We were heading off to do contacts when we passed by an inactive members house. I had never talked to them... but I knew they were members anyway. We clapped and heard something that sounded angry. So we said thanks and started to walk away. Then we heard it again... and asked him to repeat himself. It turns out he was saying "Here"... so we came in and started talking. He is the son of a very old lady. She is a member, but he isn’t. He was sitting at a table in dim flickering lights... smoking and drinking mate. He looked like a wreck. We started talking and he told us about his problems. One thing I’ll always remember is him saying, "I’m closer now to my gun then my guitar". We taught him and gave him a Book of Mormon. We came back the next day... the day after and the day after. He progressed every day just a bit. He has not mentioned suicide in a while and is really interested in the gospel. He wants to stop smoking and change his life. We`re heading back soon and will teach him about baptism. I believe there are just some times when the Spirit calls you to a house where someone just needs a friend. Sometimes they just need someone to save them. I’m glad to be the one to come and do that for them. I’m so glad I can be here. The Spirit constrains me to say more... but know that I am loving helping people. This week I’ve realized what a sacrifice it is to be a missionary. And I’m glad to do it. I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

I love you all. I really hope everyone is doing well. Staying safe and keeping close to the Spirit. The Spirit is our only way back to real joy.

Take care... And don’t forget I love you,

Tommy

No comments: