Monday, January 26, 2009

What? SIX!

Well everyone. I would just like to start out by bring you all up to date. Literally, up to TODAY! Exactly 6 months ago this very night... I was set apart as a missionary for the church. I know that I have more time left in the mission then I can possibly imagine. I feel like it has gone fast, but slow at the same time. When I look back on all that has happened, it seems like at least 2 years. But when I look back at major events, they don't feel that long ago. I feel like I just left the MTC. I still consider Elder Sagripanti as my companion from a few weeks ago... but it´s been 3 months since we´ve been companions. Next Monday is transfers. I feel like I will leave. I have been here in El Cruce long enough. I have done quite a lot, and although there is more I can do... I feel Ill be called away soon. But before I go, I'm going to make it a big banger-oo-ey! This Saturday we are going to do a Family Home Evening with the ward. It is an idea that came to me though revelation when we were planning for the inactive members. We planned it for this Saturday, feeling it was right. Then yesterday during church, we received a new bishop. Here that is big! People who were "offended" come back to church and people who expect to be "offended" leave. It is something we are working on... but the culture here is, well... just like that. It really does remind me of the Lamanite/Nefite nations. ANYWAY... we are kind of making the activity a farewell/welcome new bishop activity... because we already planned it. So, I'm looking forward to that.


Well, this week we went on intercambios (companion exchanges) this week with the Zone Leaders for a day. I went to their area and Elder Sagripanti came back to Cruce for a day. It was really interesting. We had wonderful conversation. And as usual, I learned a lot. All the missionary leaders here seem to be the cream of the crop. They really are the best people I’ve ever met, and can’t seem to stop teaching. I just hope that by my last day of the mission I’ll have learned to do that.


This week nothing really HUGE happened that I haven't already mentioned. We went to the offices again. So with transfers next week, that basically means 3 weeks without a day of rest. I love it... It really just makes me laugh now. I'm enjoying the exercise as well. I'm getting good at hauling around heavy bags/boxes in train stations. With all the travel on P-Days, I have officially mastered the rubix-cube. I always thought it was hard and never really tried to learn it. But then I bought one and, it really isn’t that hard. My companion gave me a pointer or two... then after doing it for awhile, I gave him a pointer or two also. Now we have races and see who can do it faster. We´re averaging about 4 minutes. That´s about the best thing to do on a train here... we use to try and read, but trust me... if you have ever gotten car sick reading, try train sick! Haha, good times. And no, I haven’t thrown up.


I must admit though. My favorite time of the week is Monday. I get to read all of your letters/e-mails to me. It really refreshes me and gives me that little bit more umpf to get going again. Even with all the spiritual teaching we do, it is even more spiritual to hear of all the love and support out there. That truly brings a wonderful Spirit as well.


Well, this week we planned a lot for the ward activity. So we didn’t go out trying to find much. But it seemed like every family we passed by was ready to listen. We did about 4-5 contacts this week... and found about 4-5. We found this couple that was a reference... sorta. And when we stopped by, we got the usual "sort of reference" reply. Oh, yeah... come back when we aren’t busy. So we came back. We had given them a pamphlet about Lesson one or Joseph Smith. When we came back they had actually read some of it and had questions. We taught lesson one and they answered basically every question correctly. Then we asked them to pray for us (standard)... the lady of the house volunteered (not standard) and said a prayer better then what we can (NEVER HEARD OF). It went really well and everyone felt the Spirit... we´ll head back soon.


Well, I’m off for now. I hope all is well at home. I really do wish to send you all my love. It seems I get more devoted readers every week. Thank you.


All my love,


Elder Tommy Steinkuhler

No comments: