Monday, December 15, 2008

it all happened in one week

First of all, Happy Birthday to all of you that I’ve missed. I’ve wished them all to you on the day... but in the rush of p-day, I forget to say it... or type it. Sorry.


Secondly, I’d just like to say that you never know what is going to happen. This week has been crazy and I can’t believe it all happened in one week... yet it happened to me. Wow! Anyway, I hope you all get the photos, because this will be much more fun with them.


Well, I BAPTiZED!!!! My first one. We had planned for the grandson to do it, but he couldn’t... so she asked me to do it! I felt so honored. It was a crazy experience. We had a problem with the fount. It wouldn’t hold the water very well. So we over filled it... but then the bishop showed up an hour and a half later. So when we did the actual baptism, it was only at my knees. She also didn’t plug her nose... So not only was she basically lying down on the floor... but had a little water entering her nose. She was great about it though!!!! It all got done with the proper procedure though. Sorry, her name is Nilda!


Nilda


Nilda y Familia


Another thing about this week that was funny is that we ended up running into an interesting person. We went over to talk to a friend of ours and they had a friend there. It was funny because I was worried this friend was a little too flirty, but we tried to share our message anyway. I asked their name and things got awkward. They mumbled something or another and so I asked again... and they said something like Fabricio (mans name) but that it was changed to Brenda (womens name). I just thought the parents had played a rude trick on the girl... but it turns out they had a sex change. Talk about weird!!! I’m not sure what to do with that kind of thing. We´ll see how that progresses...... later, much later.


So, question to you all... what kind of pictures do you all want? Photos of people, me, places... that kind of thing?


I got some letters this week, thanks for all that sent them. It looks like it takes about a month to get to me. Most were post marked at the beginning of November, and I got them last Tuesday. So, I don’t know... I think it is random. But I have stamps now... so I hope you´ll all be getting letters more regularly. I HOPE!!! No promises.


This week we also ran into a lady who had been baptized 3 years ago... but never confirmed. So we will be teaching her again and rebaptizing her! And then we ran into a literature teacher who had talked to the missionaries a few years ago and has since read the Book of Mormon 3 times!!! So, we´re going to jump on that opportunity this week.


I’ll be honest... not a whole lot happened that was too crazy other than that. Most of my time was spent preparing for and then doing the baptism this last Saturday. It is a sacrifice I’m willing to make. But I did go all out and do something fun today. I’ve been planning this for awhile and so today I just went ahead and did it. I shaved my leg. I say leg, because I didn’t have enough time for both. And I’m debating about shaving it. For all you ladies who have never had hairly legs... let me tell you that having hairless legs is like having a numb leg. I can’t feel anything. My pant legs can touch my legs and I don’t notice. It is WEIRD!!!! Especially since the other leg is normal. We´ll see how that all goes. But I put up photos. You might wonder why I did it though. I’ll tell you. It was because on your mission is the only time you can do it and no one will find out. No one sees your legs. So now you’re probably wondering why I told all of you. Well, honestly it is because I know you´ll all laugh. And by the time I see any of you again, it will be normal. So, no worries. But someone should tell Sister Keri Nielson that you really can see my scars now. Thanks.


Antes de



Despues


So, I’m still a little lost as to how people are doing. I have some people who write me faithfully. But not others. I hear rumors that close friends of mine are engaged or pregnant. If you know about this... please do fill me in. I heard Aubrey is pregnant... and that Jon is engaged?! Anyone got news on this?


Another thing we did today was watch Kung Fu Panda as a zone and we ate waffles "in the morning... I’m making waffles". It was really funny again... and really distracting from the work. Everyone felt totally relaxed afterwards... it was weird. We also watched part of the RM... so now we are all reminded as to what we are going to go home to.


So we had a special even this week. Here they call it "Noche de Luz"... which literally means "Night of Light". But it was the mission´s Christmas performance. 20 missionaries (10 Elders, 10 Hermanas) sang and a video was also shown. It was really peaceful and helped to bring the Spirit of Christmas to all. It is really different down here in the heat. But I can really feel the TRUE Spirit of Christmas now. I’ve felt it before, but on the mission when your life is focused on Christ... Christmas has so much more meaning. We were all reminded of his wondrous works for us and the joy we have in celebrating it. This time of year is special. Unlike anything else. Many people say it is their favorite time of year... and it should be. It is the one time of the year where all try to bring joy to others. The one time of the year where EVERYONE is trying to be selfless. It is this Spirit that I want to share with you all. I know it is impossible to share from here... But I know that if prompted, you might share it with others and therefore feel it yourself. We are going to do service this week. We try to do it every week. And this week we are planning to basically cut down a jungle... from the way she explained it. Every time I do service I feel the peace from knowing that I am laboring for someone in a way they cannot. I love it! Please, go and share this with others. Go serve someone this week. I know you will feel the Spirit that this time of year brings. Even if it is in your own family... go out of your way to sacrifice a few minutes and bring love to all. That is my wish for this year. I want to bring a little more love to my faithful readers. My sister informs me that this site has been visited over 1000 times in the past 5ish months. For that I want to thank you all. I know I have truly wonderful friends. That really does bring joy to me. So thanks for your love.


All of my love, your friend...


Elder Tommy Steinkuhler



Mask of a member


My companion in the mask

No comments: