Monday, October 20, 2008

I'll be fine, I heal quick

Hey everyone! Sorry, this one will be really short. I only have 10 minutes... or less. They dont have the giant flashing time on these computers. You know... the thing I use to not like, but now really want. Well, in any case. Im sorry, I had a lot of things to do this week. But enough of that... onto the week:

First of all, Im great. Ive got some problems that I know Im not suppose to write home about... but I am going to anyway because you all know Im as tough as nails... or something like that. First of all... it is HOT here. The sun is super bright and we are under it almost all day. So Ive been getting tanner and tanner... until today. We had an all mission soccer (or fútball) competition. And... well, I got burned. I play goalie. Im not too bad as a goalie. Im not to bad as a player... in the US. But here people are crazy good. Im learning a lot about soccer. I love it. But anyway, Im roaster. But dont worry mother. Ive been taught well. And there are natural aloe plants on like ever corner. Ill be fine, I heal quick... just ask Merry and Ryan.

The other thing that is bothering me is my feet. They are so tired! I have calaces (spelling?) the size of about 4 quarters stacked up. I havent had any blisters or anything like that. Im a pretty good walker (and getting better all the time. Trust me, it´s an art to walk all day). I think the real reason is because we´ve been taking longer and longer walks recently to get the people in the corners of the mission that are ready for us. Check this out: We had "divisions" on Thursday. Divisions are sort of like one day transfers with the leaders in the Zone ... So I was with Elder Good (Who I need to talk about) in his area. We ended up walking over an hour to get to this appointment we had. And then an hour back, without stopping. It´s things like that which are giving me tougher feet.

So, the division... Elder Good is from New Hampshire! The same Stake we were in. He moved in about 6 months after we left. So he knows some of the same people and places. And he goes home in 3 weeks. He is really great though. Anyway, on the division... after the huge walk, we walked by these kids who yelled "your beautiful" in English. So we said¨"thanks" and walked on to another appointment. When we were returning we stopped and talked to them because they were calling us over. There were 5 in all. 2 girls and 3 boys... about 16-18 years old. The girl who spoke english greeted us with a kiss (ANOTHER ONE!!! I´ve stopped counting) and during the conversation she asked us out in Spanish. So... Ive been here 3 weeks and already been asked out. It´s weird. She was blond though... you´ve got to be weary of the blonds here... I tell ya!

So that was fun. And the week had been pretty fun. All except we had a few bautismos (I cant spell it in english anymore) fall through. One was Belén. She got a bad grade in school, so her mother said her grades need to get up before she can be baptized... or have lessons from us. But I have faith in her and know all will be good. And a few other people that just need time but will pull through also. Overall things are okay in that area. You cant get my hopes down when we are having so much success. But this week we should be having a bautismo also.

Um, ¿que más? Oh!!! We´ve had two drunk guys talk to us. One was yelling about how we needed to have energy... and that was really all that made since. Not because I couldnt understand him... but because that was really about all that made since. Also another guy who was telling us we were going to hell and he wasnt... even though he knew he was a terrible person. It was because his father was a preacher in the Evenjelical Church (I think that´s Evangalist in English). After both of those my companion told me we need to be recording things like that. Those sorts of things are really hilarious to us.

Actually, a side note: People like to yell at us here. We stick out a lot because of our dress, but especially because of my blond hair that is getting blonder by the day. Also because we are both 6 foot 1 inch and husky. People yell all sorts of things at us. It is really funny. People here really dont get violent much. Im sure Im safe here, especially because no one wants to go up agains us because they only come up to our name badges. But seriously, Im only joking and you really should not worry. Anyway, the things they say are normally what little english they know, or something derogitory in Spanish. Elder Sagripanti hates it when they call us "Shankis" which is how they say Yankee, because the "y" is a "sh" here. Anyway, he hates it because he is from Argentina... full blooded. Someone called us spies from Bush the other day... and he was fuming. It was hilarious. Ever time that happens he talks to them, tells them he´s from Cordoba and as we walk away tells me that he won. I love it. He´s got spirit.

Also, we got to see Elder Nielson this week. He came and talked to our mission. My area is not far from the mission headquarters... so I could go. We all got to shake his hand and say hi. It was pretty sweet, Im not going to lie. I loved his talk too. He has such power when he teaches. All of it was mission stuff though, otherwise Id share it. I doubt any of you would be very interested. But those of you who read this and are members... just help the missionaries... please. Missionary work has changed. It isnt just missionaries now. It is the church as a whole. We really cant do our work without help from the members and especially without referals. So, help out if you can.

Ive got to go. But I hope you all know my love goes with you all. Take care and youll hear from me in another week.

All my love,
Elder Tommy Steinkuhler

PS I could still use letters ;)

No comments: