Monday, September 28, 2009

Elder Horse Whisperer... that is me

Well, this week was huge. I promise you, God has changed the time continuum or something. I know that the days/weeks are getting longer. There is no way I can tell you all of what happened this week.... but we`ll try. ("Do or do not, there is no try" -Yoda)

First of all... a funny little tid bit about missionary life in Argentina. The majority of members are converts. So they are used to the missionaries knowing more than them and being prepared to do anything. So every once and awhile they just ask us to do something last minute. Last Sunday, 30 minutes before Sacrament... they asked me to give a talk. I was with investigators and had no time to prepare, so sacrament meeting roles around and I sit down to write a quick talk... when the music director comes up and asks me to direct the music. So I go up to the stand and try to plan a talk in my mind. NOT ENOUGH TIME! As I was directing the music I realized I was doing a solo and that the reason I was directing was because no one in the audience (music director included) knew the words or melody. So I gave a talk about music and the power it has. I talked for 15 minutes and sat down. During the last hymn everyone at least tried to sing. It was really cool. The best part is that all the members gave me compliments this week on my wonderfully well written talk and all of them want to learn new music. I guess it was a success... and I guess God knew what he was doing.

Funny story: There are 4 elders in my ward. We went and ate together and were walking in some back roads when we saw in the distance a kid untie his horse. The horse bolted down the road right at us. The other 3 missionaries I was with screamed like little girls and ran for cover. I don't know why... but I jumped out at it and whistled. The horse skidded to a halt about 7 feet from me and took off like a rocket in the opposite direction. It was pretty funny. Then Elder Jones called me Horse Whisperer. Elder Horse Whisperer... that is me.

FUNNY STORY 2!: We went out one morning to contact a few people and put ourselves to do contacts. We saw a few kids in the yard of someone and a few adults, so we went to talk to them. As we are approaching the fence, we hear them call us and realize it is a bunch of ladies. Well, we decided to do the contact anyway. This lady comes up and we start to talk to her. Within about 2 minutes we realize she just wanted to talk to two young men from other countries. She started asking us how old we were, guessing I was about 25 and my companion 24. So we decide to finish talking with her and ask her when her husband would be around. She told us she didn't live there but would give us the direction of her family’s house. As my companion is writing her address down, she looks at me and blatantly says, "Sos lindo"... or in English, "You`re cute". Hmhmhmhmhm...Awkward. I just said thanks and goodbye. And we walked away. I’ll be honest, that kind of thing has happened to us before, but never has it been so blatant and hilarious. One thing I like is when they ask us if we`ll bring them back to the States with us. HAHAHAHAHA NO, soy un misionero!

Okay... now that we are done with all that fun stuff. I would like to talk to you all about a little more serious thing. The temple. It just so turns out I went to the temple again this week. Our ward was going so we decided to provechar (no clue how to say that in English anymore). We brought as many investigators as we could. In total we had 15 investigators and about 5 recent converts that all went with us. We could not go into the temple with them, but we walked around the temple and taught them all. It was a gorgeous day and I might have got a tan. I doubt I’ll be able to send photos today, but I’ll try to get some out. I spent a lot of time thinking about it and I would at least like to describe the investigators who went to the temple.

Damian/Nora: These wonderful people we found doing contacts my first day here in Mayol. They have 4 kids who are just adorable and cry every time we leave. He welcomed us into his house saying, "Yeah, let’s talk. But just so you know.... I don’t believe in God." He started to read The Book of Mormon and I think he is 2nd Nephi. The other day we taught him about Repentance and at the end he asked us, "Who are the gentiles?" It was great! They are some of the most wonderful people I know. They invited us to eat at their house this week and they ended up cooking all day to give us dinner. We had homemade ravioli with fish inside (WONDERFUL!). I’ll try to keep you all updated on big events with them. Just know that they are wonderful and I truly find joy with them.

Gloria: This wonderful lady is the mother of Juan who got baptized my first week here. She is beyond wonderful but can’t get baptized because she needs to get married (difficult here in Argentina). She knows more than most members and befriends every person we teach. I love her to death and all of her family. She is so patient and willing to serve.

Noelia: Also needs to get married. But she received an answer to The Book of Mormon my first week here. Ever since she has done everything we ask of her. The only problem is that she is REALLY pregnant. So it is hard bringing her places (like the temple). But she loves it to death.

Okay, there are a lot more, but I’m out of time. I´d just like to send you all my love. I worry for you all and pray for you all. I’m very happy. I’m working as hard as I possibly can and staying relatively healthy (always a problem for me). Something I learned this week is that children really are innocent. I saw it in the eyes of the children we teach. 3 Nephi 17 really had a powerful impact on me recently. Read it, love it. As for me, I’m off to the wild again. Love you all.

Elder Tommy Steinkuhler

PS Conference is this week!!!! Who is excited? IM EXCITED!!!!

1 comment:

Merry Robin said...

For those interested, provechar means to take advantage of an oportunity